Velotha’s Flock: Making a Character

One of the things that we often forget to do when we design games is to really put some of the mechanics through a practical run, and sometimes we design it without really giving voice to why we do things and stuff gets thrown in and kept even after its intended purpose is done.

With velotha’s flock, I wanted to do a quick overview of what makes a character unique and interesting with a character system that may, on its surface, seem to lead toward similar characters.

Continue reading “Velotha’s Flock: Making a Character”

Revising Hacking in Street Rats

Street Rats has actually been seeing updates the past couple weeks, despite me not posting about them here. Part of the reason for this is because there haven’t been a whole ton of progress on bits that I consider particularly interesting, more just on things that have to get done to get a finished  game out. There have been some adjustments in plans. First, most of the setting is getting cut from the main book; some brief blurbs will be available, but Phoenix in the UAS will be the only setting place to get wide coverage. I want to keep Street Rats’ total running length below 300 pages, and something had to be cut.

One of the other things getting “cut” is the hacking rules as they stand. Right now they are not only bulky, but they’re too similar to other games on the market that have widespread problems on account of… their hacking systems. Hacking should be both a robust experience and a quick one, so it is getting new and exceptional mechanics; this puts it a little outside the rest of Street Rats, but when dealing with cyberspace such things are necessary.

Continue reading “Revising Hacking in Street Rats”

Project Update: The Eve of Things to Come

I’ve been working on a few projects recently, and I figure that now’s as good a time as any to officially announce a couple of them, as well as give a status update. I’ve been doing a little bit of work on YMICAE, but I’m nowhere near where I had hoped to be; I basically got in a few hour’s coding, then schoolwork picked up, then I finally got around to doing a little more coding a few days ago. Like DiceLord, which also needs work, I’m probably going to rewrite at least a substantial part of the system. Continue reading “Project Update: The Eve of Things to Come”

Project Update: What I’ve Been Up To

I haven’t been particularly productive recently, in part because I’ve been traveling, which has both the added busy factor of spending a lot of time in transit and away from my computer but also the fact that I am now in California, where more stuff that I am allergic to grows. Fortunately, I am surviving, but I’ve been somewhat unproductive.

Continue reading “Project Update: What I’ve Been Up To”

Project Update: Still Alive

I wasn’t able to do anything with this blog all last week because I was so busy; between school and a little bit of normal-ish-but-kinda-rare family events that I’m not going to go into a lot of detail here, I didn’t have as much free time to work on things as I would have desired. Fortunately, I still made a little progress.

Continue reading “Project Update: Still Alive”

Project Update: XMICYOA Lives!

Today I don’t have a lot to write about, because I’ve been working largely on the technical side of XMICYOA. I have good news, fortunately. XMICYOA can now load XML files with four distinct focuses; two header/title text elements, a main body text element, and a “link” element that makes it load up another file.

Continue reading “Project Update: XMICYOA Lives!”

Project Update: Combat and the ABACUS Large-Scale Dice Tester.

This week I’ve mostly been working on some combat stuff, both for social and physical combat, in Ostravia. I also learned the basics of PHP, which is related to some of my more recent work in Ostravia. Long story short, it’s time to get really into crunch mode on the combat mechanics so I’ll have something to showcase in the Kickstarter.

Continue reading “Project Update: Combat and the ABACUS Large-Scale Dice Tester.”

Project Update: Wounds, Infection, and Dying in Ostravia

Today’s not perhaps the least gruesome part of my work on Ostravia, but it’s an important part. Being a somewhat realistic look at medieval life, it’s important for people to be able to meet an untimely and violent end in Ostravia, and this will happen fairly quickly in most cases without the support of allies or the benefit of a moderately merciful foe (i.e. won’t finish you off after you’re down).

Continue reading “Project Update: Wounds, Infection, and Dying in Ostravia”

Project Update: Ostravia Progress

I have good news for Ostravia; I’ve hit the next step on the road to having Ostravia officially recognized as my honors thesis and as such need only get one more document signed to get everything official. Unfortunately, it’s also one of the busiest weeks of the year for me, so progress otherwise is pretty slow.

Continue reading “Project Update: Ostravia Progress”

Project Update: Ostravia (Lots of Housekeeping)

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to do a whole lot on Ostravia this week. I’ve been pretty busy with a lot of stuff, and I’ve mostly come down to getting correspondence about doing it as an honors thesis and stuff like that, and not so much to the actual work on Ostravia itself. Still, I’ve had some progress.

Continue reading “Project Update: Ostravia (Lots of Housekeeping)”