I wasn’t able to do anything with this blog all last week because I was so busy; between school and a little bit of normal-ish-but-kinda-rare family events that I’m not going to go into a lot of detail here, I didn’t have as much free time to work on things as I would have desired. Fortunately, I still made a little progress.
Project Update: It Lives!
XMICYOA now has a system in place to determine if an action has tokens, states, or stokens associated with it and can appropriately set those tokens and states. Right now there’s nothing in place to unset tokens, though this should be pretty simple to implement (literally copying and pasting the current code and changing the words where needed) and will be done pretty soon. Continue reading “Project Update: It Lives!”
Project Update: XMICYOA Progress
I actually find myself in an awkward position because I’ve forgotten some of the progress I made on XMICYOA last week, and rather than going back to dig through to find it I’ll just touch on the highlights. Most importantly, the first requirements for objects are in, which represents a key point in the XMI parser. We also now have token, state, and “stoken” (easily wiped tokens) databases to complement all the other features. Continue reading “Project Update: XMICYOA Progress”
Project Update: XMICYOA Progress and Blog Patchiness
I’ve gotten a lot of work done on XMICYOA, but I’ve also missed a couple blog posts in the past couple weeks. Long story short, I’m planning on downshifting the blog a little; I may drop either a Monday, Thursday, or Friday post on any given week, and I may or may not make them up at my leisure. Continue reading “Project Update: XMICYOA Progress and Blog Patchiness”
XMICYOA Progress: Bug-fixes and Dice Emulator
XMICYOA is built on the ABACUS core, but I want to provide a robust number of features for people to use in their own work, as well as allow myself a certain degree of flexibility as far as game mechanics go. As such, I’ve been hard at work creating a working dice emulator that provides meaningful and robust results without a whole lot of difficulty. I also fixed a couple bugs this week. Continue reading “XMICYOA Progress: Bug-fixes and Dice Emulator”
Project Update: XMICYOA Lives!
Today I don’t have a lot to write about, because I’ve been working largely on the technical side of XMICYOA. I have good news, fortunately. XMICYOA can now load XML files with four distinct focuses; two header/title text elements, a main body text element, and a “link” element that makes it load up another file.
Project Update: Slow Week
Last week school started up again, so the week’s been pretty short. In place of the usual weekly post with lots of text, I’m just going to give a bullet-point overview of the things that happened this week.
- Switched from SimpleXML to DOM for XML parsing.
- Further fleshed out the reference guide/design document for XMICYOA.
- Settled on the Apache 2.0 license for XMICYOA.
If anyone has further questions, feel free to ask them in comments or by e-mailing me (the e-mail below the ad-box is fine) and I’ll update this post/reply appropriately.
Project Update: A Digital Ostravia
As February draws closer, I’ve been working with redoubled effort on a CYOA-esque web implementation of Ostravia using the ABACUS Light ruleset. It’s not fully featured, but it’s something that is very much at the core of the project; as a way of learning about and teaching history, I want Ostravia to be accessible both to avid readers and players of roleplaying games and those who prefer their narratives fictional.